In old age, appetite is not as good as before. Drugs, diseases, nutritional status, environmental or psychological factors can also cause the elderly to eat less. And as the elderly are more likely to expose to dysentery, the effects of appetite can worsen. For these reasons, we should be careful to identify them.
You don’t eat, and you can’t eat. I believe it is a problem for many older people. So what’s a good way to improve your appetite? In the field of nutrition, there are natural appetite stimulants for the elderly. Thereby, they can say goodbye to non-appetite forever.
Is there a natural appetite stimulant?
To find the best stimulus for appetite, we must first determine the cause of anorexia. Also, we must determine specific medical or physiological needs.
In general, natural stimulants, chemical stimulants, and lifestyle changes can stimulate the appetite. However, a combination of them often yields better results.
Oral vitamins can be selected as a natural appetite stimulant. Natural means there are no artificial chemicals, no side effects, and no addiction. Natural ingredients stimulate appetite more slowly than artificial products.
Therefore, you must be used frequently to be effective. In addition, they are more readily accepted by the human digestive system and do not cause physiological reactions such as nausea or diarrhea.
Natural recipes, including organic vitamins, tea, liquid, or powdered minerals, are used to stimulate the appetite. There are also natural herbs that are safe for people with poor appetites.
Doctors sometimes prescribe certain chemical stimulants to patients, but natural ingredients are common in health care stores.
The list of best natural appetite stimulants for the elderly that can find in the market
- Cranberry juice
What causes lack of appetite in elderly
Experts point out that there are usually two factors that contribute to decreased appetite in the elderly.
First, as you get older, the taste buds on the tongue will gradually deteriorate. Therefore, the response of the tongue to understanding the taste of food will gradually weaken.
Second, gradual loss of digestive function in the elderly can lead to a lethargy stomach or loss of appetite.
Chronic diseases can also be a contributing factor in decreased appetite in the elderly. Therefore, identifying the following symptoms is also important for treatment.
- Anemia in the elderly
- Impairment of the function of organs
- Impairment of digestive organs
- Decreasing the secretion of pancreatic enzymes
If anorexia accompanied by other symptoms, it may be another disease
|Symptoms with anorexia||Disease|
|Dizziness, tiredness, abdominal distention, palpitation, inattention, skin and mucous membrane, pale lips, and fingernails||Mostly anemia|
|Nausea and vomiting, upper abdominal fullness and discomfort, sometimes pain, frequent acid reflux, belching, etc.||Mostly acute and chronic gastritis or ulcer|
|Nausea and vomiting, anorexia and asthenia, pain, or discomfort in the liver area||Mostly viral hepatitis|
|Low fever, fatigue, night sweat, emaciation, chest pain, blood in coughing sputum, etc.||Mostly tuberculosis|
|Accompanied by emaciation and weakness, nausea, abdominal and anal diarrhea, dry skin, dark complexion, etc.||Mostly cirrhosis|
|Accompanied by fever, fatigue, malnutrition, progressive emaciation, or cachexia||Most of them are malignant tumors such as gastric cancer, liver cancer, etc|
What kind of food is suitable for elderly
We all know that the care of children and the elderly needs to be monitored. Many foods are not suitable for the elderly and difficult to digest as the digestive system weakens with age. So what kind of food is best for the elderly.
- Honey has a preventive effect on elderly diseases.
- Regular consumption in the elderly can prevent indigestion, gastrointestinal ulcers, coughs, insomnia, vascular diseases, constipation, and diarrhea.
- It is rich in protein, fat, vitamins and is high in nutritional value.
- Millet porridge is healthy food and suitable for the elderly. It has a soothing effect.
- Black rice has an anti-cancer effect and can reduce the number of deaths from cerebral thrombosis and rheumatic heart disease.
- It contains 16 essential amino acids for the human body and cures many physical ailments in the elderly.
- Vitamin E in black sesame seeds has a delaying effect on aging and positively affects blood circulation and metabolism in the elderly.
- It can lower cholesterol in patients with atherosclerosis and high blood pressure, but it is not suitable for loose stools.
- The value of black-bone chicken is three times higher than the normal chicken.
- This is important for the elderly as it nourishes the liver and kidneys and strengthens the body.
- Soybeans are high in protein, unsaturated fatty acids, calcium, and B vitamins.
- The amino acids in it are close to the ratio wanted to the human body and are easy to digest and absorb. Therefore, it is a food suitable for the elderly.
- Peanuts contain about 45% protein and more than 80% unsaturated fatty acids. It can lower cholesterol.
- Peanuts are anti-fibrinolytic and promote bone marrow to produce platelets, and it has a good hemostatic effect on various bleeding diseases.
- Coarse grains are very rich in trace elements and can help the elderly to supplement various vitamins.
- It can increase the appetite of the elderly, promote digestion, and maintain the nervous system’s normal functioning.
- The stuffing inside the stuffed pasta is excellent and delicious, increasing the appetite of the elderly.
- It can be used as a staple and non-staple food and can also be used as a meat dish and vegetarian.
- Pig blood is a nutritious food suitable for the elderly who have difficulty chewing or toothless.
- This is a great diet for elderly patients with coronary heart disease, hyperlipidemia, and cerebrovascular disease.
Black wolfberry has special health benefits and suitable for the elderly
A lack of desire to eat is termed a loss of appetite. Here are simple home remedies for Loss Of Appetite
The key factors for natural appetite stimulant for elderly
The spleen and stomach of the adulteries are not good and often have no appetite. So why does the elderly lack appetite? How do the elderly develop an appetite? Let’s find out.
Change your lifestyle
Lifestyle changes are another way to increase appetite. Here are a few habits that affect appetite.
- Exercise regularly.
- Eat more healthy foods.
- Reduce the consumption of sugar.
- Reduce the use of fat and salt.
- Drink more water.
- Have enough sleep.
- Stop smoke and alcohol.
Add sauce to food, and it will enhance the taste
The elderly usually eat the best salt and sugar in their diet, which is the most basic need. When making food, you can use a small amount of sugar or salt to make it more palatable.
The best remedy is to add a sauce made from salt and sugar into the boiled foods. In this way, the sweet and salty flavor spreads over the food surface shallowly. That way, the elderly can be satisfied with the taste without worrying about eating too much salt and sugar.
Use sugar and salt substitutes for your health
Substituting brown sugar and salt for white sugar and table salt is a great way to satisfy your cravings without compromising your health. This method is also suitable for older people with diabetes. Also, you can use low-sodium salt and low-salt sauce. But this is not appropriate for the elderly with poor renal function.
Drink a small amount of light wine
Drink a small amount of low-alcohol wine, such as Torres Natureo Dealcoholised Muscat wine, to increase appetite. However, drinking a large number of soft drinks and beer is not recommended. It dilutes the gastric juice and dilates the stomach, and stimulates the center of satisfaction.
Pay attention to the hardness and softness of the food
If the elderly have trouble swallowing their food, they should reduce the speed of eating. Here, you need to make sure that the degree of hardness and softness of the food is adjusted to match.
For example, you can mix chopped cooked vegetables into food and turn them into porridge. But it is best to avoid slippery and sticky foods. Also, thin liquids are difficult to control in the elderly. Therefore, they are not suitable because they can cause choking.
Always try to eat hot food, it tastes good
Maintaining the temperature of the food is an important step in locking the smell. Eating while the food is hot is one of the main reasons for your appetite. Pouring hot soup on the table can easily stimulate the appetite of the elderly. Of course, be careful not to overheat.
Add some flavor enhancer to food
Add a sweetener made from natural food aroma concentration on the food. It will stimulate the stomach. Ginger is a good natural flavor enhancer. This is especially helpful for the elderly who have anorexia due to taste loss.
Try to decorate foods, and Beautiful colors increase appetite
Bright colors can stimulate the human brain. The appetite can be strengthened by the overall color match of the food. It triggers people’s desire to eat.
Eat fresh and hygienic foods
The elderly are not sensitive to taste and aroma. They gradually diminish their ability to detect rotten food or inappropriate chemicals. The elderly are concerned about eating, so they should focus on their safety and health when preparing it. Then the older elderly can eat boldly and safely.
Try to make eating environment changes
A good environment helps appetite. For example, a good dining environment or a specially designed desk, tablecloth, etc., can trigger the desire to eat. Also, make sure to change that environment whenever possible.
Relax with some music
Gastrointestinal peristalsis and secretion of digestive juices are associated with mental status. Properly improving the dining environment and playing light music will definitely change the elderly’s moods and increase appetite.
Eat together with many people
Eating together is a useful solution for the elderly with depression, oppression, and pessimism. You can dine with the children at home or with the elderly nearby. It’s a pretty simple solution. Specialists believe that a lively dining environment will change the mood of the elderly and subsequently increase appetite.
If necessary ask for medicine
If necessary, you may ask the doctor to prescribe certain drugs that may promote appetite. Sometimes anorexia is caused by thymectomy and should be diagnosed and treated by a doctor.
Thiamine health products can stimulate appetite with vitamin A, zinc, niacin, biotin, and B complex vitamins. Besides, you can buy chemical appetite stimulants with the help of a doctor’s prescription.
Find out the best way to detoxify your body – Top 10 detoxification methods
The above methods are useful as a natural appetite stimulant for the elderly. I hope that through my introduction, older friends can understand some ways to improve their appetite.
Specialists have introduced these methods to promote the appetite of the elderly. I look forward to providing some help to the elderly who have a bad digestive system and appetite. Try these methods when eating. You may be able to eat better than before.
You can find out 10 Ways to Improve Digestive System – Get INSTANT Boost Naturally in the following video.
Read more about – Natural foods that gain appetite